Thursday, August 14, 2008

Boulder Happenings

On Monday we attended the Shakespeare Festival here in town. We saw a special, one night only performance of "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare." It was hilarious! Three actors took two hours and touched on all 36 of Shakespeare's plays and inserted plenty of toilet humor, silly costumes, and physical comedy. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much.

That morning I did my longest run to date... 9.92 miles (yes, I later rode my bike along the route with my GPS) in 120 minutes. I know I'm slow, but I just keep going, and going... I've got five weeks until the Boulder Backroads Marathon and 3.108 miles to go!

Sunday night Dan brought home a bike from Community Cycles that he fixed enough to ride. As part of the earn-a-bike program he volunteered there for 10 hours and was then able to make a bike of his own. Though this one was pretty intact to start with, it's very cool that he knows enough to be able to fix it. Now he will be volunteering there as a facilitator (helping other people) every Thursday night.

But Tuesday, he got to take the bike out for a spin. We rode out the Boulder Creek Path into the canyon. About five miles from our place the path enters the mouth of the canyon and turns to dirt. Since Dan's bike is a mountain bike he was cruising on this part! It was a ton a fun and we're looking forward to doing a lot more biking in woods and open space around here.

What else? I've been interviewing quite a bit and it looks like I'll be work part time as an elementary school music teacher (yes, little kids---ahhh!) for the next year. I only need to go in three days a week so that will give me some time to try out other things. I'll also be teaching for the LifeLong Learning program here in town. It should be a different challenge to teach teachers.

Well, that's it for now. Tomorrow we're going up to RoMo (Rocky Mountain National Park) with Matt to camp and hike for the weekend. It should be a lot of fun, despite the snow in the forecast. Check pack for some pictures Sunday night! Then Dan's parents come for a visit starting Tuesday. It will certainly be fun to show them around town. Oh, yeah, school starts on Tuesday, too. They start very early out here but finish up by Memorial Day.

No comments: