Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Florida Day 2

Adam picked me up at 6am with the mountain bikes in the back of his truck. He drove us 2.5 hours north to the Kissimee Prairie Preserve. It was out in the middle of farms, cattle, and tropical forests. When we pulled in we saw some wild turkeys and karakara birds.



We got on our bikes and tried to head west on the military road. Unfortunately, there was so much sand on the "road" that we couldn't pedal. We tried another way and got a couple of miles in before the trail turned into a swamp. So, we got back on the military trail and walked our bikes when the sand was too deep. It took us quite a while to get to the Kissimee River, but we finally got there.


We had a nice lunch on the riverside and then started to head back under the sweltering sun. We tried a different route back, because the military trail was such a pain. However, we knew there would be a large segment of the trail that included a water crossing.


The water crossing was gross. It was anywhere from 3 inches to almost 2 feet deep. There were places where we couldn't see our feet and we worried about all sorts of creepy crawlies. Adam took his socks and shoes off to walk through the mud, but I wasn't that brave. I kept my socks on and felt the goopy mud through my toes. Gross! Then, we're about halfway across and I saw a snake. I jumped a mile high and ran in front of Adam with my bike. Of course, I scared the snake more than it scared me, but I still didn't like it! Then Adam claimed he saw a baby alligator up ahead. Well, luckily we didn't get to see him or his mother up close.


We got to dry land without further incident. Then, after biking not even five minutes, I saw an alligator off to the side of the trail. I screamed and pedaled as fast as I could. The gator splashed into the nearby pool and Adam saw what he claimed was a 12-footer. I didn't see that one.

After 5.5 hours we got back to the car with all limbs in tact. Over the course of the ride we also saw deer, vultures, more wild turkey, and other birds. On the way back Adam drove us by Lake Okeechobee. I had no idea how huge the lake was. You couldn't even see across it.


We got home in time for another delicious dinner and walk on the beach.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I love the turkey!!