Sunday, February 22, 2009

Green Mountain

Our adventures of late have been rather low-key. That's because in the middle of January I got sick--ear infection, pink eye, cold, persistent cough--and suffered for almost four weeks. Then Dan got all of my germs and he has been sick for two weeks now. On Tuesday he went to the doctor and on his way back from the pharmacy he fell off his bike and majorly scraped up his knees. Therefore, today we were going to hang out in Golden and see the Mountaineering Museum and just take it easy. However, walking still proves to be problematic for Dan, so we decided to just stay at home.

At around noon, I got cabin fever. It was beautiful, sunny, and nearly 50 degrees so my morning run was not going to cut it for my outdoor activities of the day. So, I hopped in the car and drove to the Gregory Canyon trail head. I hiked to the top of Green Mountain via the Amphitheater Trail, Saddle Rock Trail, and E.M. Greenman Trail. The views of the Indian Peaks and the backs of the Flatirons were gorgeous. I made it to the summit 2,400 feet higher than the parking lot in an hour and a half. On the way make I made a bit of a loop and followed the Ranger Trail down back to Saddle Rock. It was a great little five-mile hike. When I got home we made chili and peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies. Yum!

No comments: